Search ShannaBelle Cooks

Friday, December 4, 2009

Absolutely THE BEST Brisket Marinade Ever!

So I had this huge 15 pound beef brisket, and I wasn't sure what to do with it. The trouble with brisket is that it's a tough cut and takes marinating or long slow cooking to make it chewable. I'm not overly fond of BBQ, and all of the internet searches seemed to be pointing that direction. Then - yeah for me! I found this marinade recipe that includes red wine and horseradish. Sounds like Prime Rib to me, so I tried it. Let me tell you, I rarely make a dinner that doesn't end up with leftovers. Which is fine by me, because I have no bones about eating leftovers. My kids on the other hand, refuse to eat anything more than one meal. They didn't even eat Thanksgiving leftovers. Anyway... There were two measly slices of brisket left for my lunch today. They ate the entire thing and didn't say a word while doing so. I once read on a blog where a woman knew when dinner was a success because the family would applaud when they were finished. I say if you hear nothing but chewing and flatware scrapes, you've achieved success! In fact it was gone so quickly, I didn't have time to take a photograph, so just trust me on this one. You're gonna love it!

Brisket Marinade
adapted from About.com

1 1/2 cups red wine (be sure to use something you would drink yourself - the flavor is so much better)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons mustard (I used French's, but next time I'm trying a good stone ground)
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon wine vinegar (I substituted sherry, it was what was on hand)
1 tablespoon horseradish (I doubled this, John said it needed more kick!)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together. Pour over brisket and let marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning occasionally. Remove brisket from marinade and boil remaining marinade for 5 minutes to use as a mop.

I put the whole shebang in the slow cooker and let it simmer on low for 10 hours. It was done before that, but I insisted on making Scalloped Potatoes as a side. The brisket was so tender you could cut it with a fork. The marinade thickened up as it simmered, and we used it as a gravy over the meat.

Here is the recipe for the scalloped potatoes I served, Au Gratin would do just as nicely.


Scalloped Potatoes
adapted from The Pillsbury Cookbook

4 medium raw potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
1 small onion, sliced, optional
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk

**I doubled the sauce ingredients, I really like my potatoes soupy!

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place potatoes and onion in greased 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole. (I use a mandolin to ensure even slicing of onions and potatoes). In medium saucepan, melt margarine. Make a roux by blending in flour, salt and pepper; cook until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the potatoes are tender.

I have added diced ham to this dish with great results too. But that's another post.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers