Search ShannaBelle Cooks

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Erin Go Bragh - Ireland Forever! Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage


Whew, it's been awhile since I've blogged. So much has been going on that I just haven't had time to post anything worthy. I've been taking photos of everything I've baked and cooked, so someday the update will be awesome. Perhaps two or three posts at a time, but let's not push it.

It is traditional in our home to serve Corned Beef and Cabbage on St Paddy's day, and a few times after if we manage to get a good sale on the brisket. Last year I bought brisket flats for $.99 pound. Last night I went to the store to buy them, they had 15 or so points and a few decent flats. $2.49 and 2.99 a pound respectively. I nearly died! I purchased two flats in order to have enough to feed the family and walked away sulking. They also had no cabbage what-so-ever. I had to make a second stop to get the greens for our meal. What is this world coming to? I used to buy 10 briskets at a time and freeze them, and cabbage was in abundance. Hmmmm.

Anyway.

This recipe is one I found in a slow-cooker cookbook, and is by far the best ever recipe I have personally tasted. The apple cider vinegar really makes it wonderful.

printable recipe

Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
adapted from The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever by Natalie Haughton

The slow cooker is the perfect way to go for this traditional dish, since it must
bubble away unintended for hours in any event. Be sure to serve with crusty
bread and pass Dijon mustard and Horseradish on the side.


Makes 6 to 8 servings

4 cups hot water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 large or 2 medium onions, cut into
wedges
1 (3-pound) corned beef round or
brisket packaged with spices
8 small white or yellow potatoes,
scrubbed and cut into quarters
1 head of green cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds),
cored and cut into 10 wedges

1. In a 6-quart electric slow cooker, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, pepper
and onions, mixing well. Placed the corned beef in the misture. Scatter the potatoes
over the top and along the sides.

2. Cover and cook on the high heat setting 4 hours. Remove the lid and scatter the
cabbage wedges over the top. Cover and continue cooking on high 3 to 4 hours longer,
or until the beef is tender. To serve, carve the beef into slices and serve
with the cabbage and potatoes, with some of the cooking liquid spooned on top of the
beef to keep it moist.


Note: I add carrots during the first cooking, the color and flavor are very complimentary. I also don't add the cabbage until the final hour. I prefer mine tender crisp as opposed to soggy and limp!

The Photo above is during the first cooking stage, sans Cabbage. My camera makes everything look funky with strange colors. It looks like everything is swimming in a pool of blood! LOL someday I'll have a real camera and take real pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers