Search ShannaBelle Cooks

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Making Ghee - A Clarified Butter Spread







During my search for yeast-free breads, I came across a video on YouTube for Roti -an Indian style flat bread. I have yet to try the recipe (perhaps later this week), but one of the condiments used on the bread was something called Ghee. It is a clarified butter, much like the kind used for lobster, but a step further so when it solidifies, it a golden brown color. I use it on every type of bread. It is compatible with Almond butter, often the two go side by side on a slice of sourdough! Pure Heaven! The Jar on the left is last month's batch, the right is today's.

So, after talking with my friend Heidi, I decided it was time to make a new batch. can note the difference in color, sometimes it turns out darker than others, it is directly related to the amount of time the butter is heated. I prefer mine somewhere in the middle, which today's batch was a perfect example of!

My recipe is courtesy of Alton Brown's Good Eats on Food Network. I love how he breaks down the recipes and ingredients so what you are doing makes so much more sense! Here is his version of Ghee:

  • Cook Time

    11 min

  • Level

    Easy

  • Yield

    Slightly less than 1 pound of ghee


Ingredients

  • 1 pound butter

Directions

Place butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring butter to boil. This takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. The butter will form a foam which will disappear. Ghee is done when a second foam forms on top of butter, and the butter turns golden. Approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Brown milk solids will be in bottom of pan. Gently pour into heatproof container through fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Store in airtight container being sure to keep free from moisture. Ghee does not need refrigeration and will keep in airtight container for up to 1 month.





1 comment:

  1. I love to make Ghee. I have it in the house at all times!!!!
    Thanks so very much for visiting my blog. Stop back by anytime

    ReplyDelete

Followers