Search ShannaBelle Cooks

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Calabacita y Maize con Chile Verde



Just because one cannot indulge in sugars, yeasts and the like doesn't mean one cannot have variety in their diet! In fact, more often than not, I seek out the foods with flavors, spices, heat and textures to make up for the fact that I cannot indulge in the Cheese, Fruit and Bread Platter of yesteryear. I mean who wouldn't indulge in a good Honey soaked Brie with Green Grapes, Apples and a really crusty French Bread? (Sigh) It's a good thing my husband is of Spanish decent and I am inclined towards HOT HOT HOT, when it comes to partaking of the goods.

Today's offerings include Calabacita y Maize con Chile Verde. Squash, Corn and Chile for us Wettas. Someday I'll tell you the story about Wetta Food, but not today. For now we go on with my favorite veggie dish of all time!

Ingredients:

4 Zucchini, sliced thin and halved
4 Yellow Squash, sliced thin and halved
1 Onion, sliced thin
4 ears of Corn, kernels cut from the cob
2 Anaheim or Poblano peppers, seeded and diced (Anaheim has more of a New Mexico heat flavor, which is what we prefer, Poblano will flavor without the heat)
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Salt (I prefer Himalayan Sea Salt - it gives a distinct flavor)
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Pepper (I prefer a mix of fresh ground, black and white, again for the texture and flavor)
1 Tablespoon chopped Garlic
1/2 Cup crumbled Feta cheese

Saute all veggies in butter on medium heat for approximately 15 min, according to your taste preferences. I like my veggies "al dente" like pasta. There is nothing worse than mushy squash. My son Taylor liked it as a baby, but that was 17 years ago. He won't touch the stuff now, go figure.

Add seasonings at the end of the saute. Top with Feta cheese, and toss gently until melted. Serve and enjoy! This is usually a side dish along with Beans and perhaps Enchiladas or Pork Chops in our family. It is great as a leftover, as the flavors marry even more the next day! I can live on Calabacita and Frijoles for days!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers