Search ShannaBelle Cooks

Friday, October 16, 2009

Sourdough Croutons and Roasted Sunflower Seeds




It's been a long time since my last post. Summer winding down, the new school year beginning, various bumps and bruises and crazy illnesses and one just runs out of juice to blog about much of anything. I'm finally on the tale end of what feels to me to be seasonal flu, and need to break out of the internet game playing/sleeping all day mode.

So I looked back at my photo library for something to blog about and this is my offering for tonite. Keep in mind I'm still not up to par, so it may seem more like rambling.....


A few weeks ago I made this wonderful sourdough bread that rose like crazy, a double batch that raised so high it looked to me it would make at least four loaves. My mistake was punching it down one more time.... the result was two baguettes and a loaf of door stops. Rather than waste them, I cut them into chunks, slathered them with Ghee and sprinkled them with Italian seasoning. I toasted them in the oven until they were a lovely shade of brown. They were wonderful, still a bit on the heavy side, but they were very flavorful.

Since the oven was on, I decided to also toast the sunflower seeds that we had grown in our garden. This was just a small amount, perhaps three flower heads - they produced a quart jar full of yummy natural goodness. I googled the recipe, and decided with agreement from the fam that there needed to be much more salt in the soaking brine. They are made in the same way roasted pumpkin seeds are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers