Search ShannaBelle Cooks

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Birthday Dinner at JaJa Bistro








Last year my birthday was a disaster. My husband is very afraid of ever letting that happen again. To me, birthdays are more sacred than the other holidays, because that is MY day. All year long we celebrate (or get the day off from work) for every other reason. Don't get me wrong, Christmas and Easter rank at the top, but come on, my birthday means alot to me. Some think it's just another day, and others never made much of a stink about it, but to me, it is worthy of waiting all year long for.

One year several years ago, my entire home family forgot it was my birthday at all. Of course my mother never forgets, but husbands and kids sometimes do. I was devastated.

This year my darling husband took me to Fresh Fish Company for lunch, where they have a discount for Birthday people relevant to your age. Needless to say, my meal was very cheap this year! We had Clam Corn Chowder, Oysters on the half shell, Crab stuffed Mushrooms, and a very awesome sourdough bread to start. Hubby is going to try to replicate the sauce on the mushrooms, it was to die for!

Then we had Pistachio Pesto Sea Bass with garlic mashed potatoes, and Crab Cakes with steamed veggies. When we went home, I took a two hour nap, I was so gosh-darn sleepy. I thought only Turkey did that to a body.

We had made reservations for JaJa Bistro, a wonderful French restaurant that we frequent. Our friend Sue is the waitress, our friend Rick is a chef, and we know the owners Stephan and Janelle too. Stephan was wonderful and came to the table to personally wish me a happy birthday and a happy new year!

Josh and I decided to dine from the appetizer menu, since we were still full from lunch. We started with Apple stuffed dates, wrapped in cured apple wood smoked bacon. The sauce is wonderful, and great for dunking chunks of French bread into! Then we were served a whole head of Roasted garlic on a plate with Kalamata olives and an oil/vinegar mix. The garlic was like BUTTA. Dipped in the oil and vinegar, it was so sumptuous.

Then came the "two medallions of Imported French goat cheese topped with Herbes de Provence and lavender served with thinly sliced Parma Prosciutto and an organic baby green salad tossed in hazelnut raspberry vinaigrette."
Very yummy. It also had Cornichon pickles, a tiny French tangy pickle, which I found to be very yummy, stretching the tastes from sweet to savory to tangy and back again.

Sue talked us into ordering the Lamb Shanks for dinner as she felt we would be okay and it sounded soooo tempting. Next came a "Pear braised in spiced Burgundy wine over puffed pastry topped with Blue d'Auvergne sauce and sprinkled with roasted walnuts. Served with artisan lettuce and chilled raspberry wine sauce. When Josh took his first bite, his eyes rolled in his head, I knew it had to be awesome! The sauce and the walnuts had a certain spice that didn't hit until you had swallowed and enjoyed. Kind of an afterthought of taste!

Our final appetizer was a Sea Scallop in a Hazelnut Parsnip sauce, which was more like a soup. There were thin sliced onions which were sauteed in wine (very tangy) and I did my best to like the dish. I do not like Scallops, but did try two bites to be sure. The sauce/soup was awesome.

Since we had decided earlier that we would try the Rack of Lamb with homemade Gnocchi as our main dish, and which we would share, we were skeptical that we would be able to finish it. By the time it came, we were both stuffed and only took two tiny tastes apiece, which were again so amazingly delicious! We opted to take the entree home and have it for lunch the next day. This was my first taste of Lamb, and I must say it, combined with the mint was a very decadent flavor. The gnocchi had a curry flavor, which I thought was more Middle Eastern, but I loved it all the same.

After we had rested a bit, we had Grapefruit Cello as an after dinner drink. It is made with Grain Alchohol and the entire fruit, pulp, pith, seeds, skin and all. It is a process that takes some time, but the end result is very delicious. It is the only Grapefruit drink I will partake of.

Finally! I know, you are thinking how could she eat any more? I ordered Creme Brulee for my dessert. Hubby only took a small bite, I ate the whole topping and part of the custard. They served it with three itty bitty candles for me to wish upon.

Everyday should be like a birthday, but if it were, I would surely be 500 pounds. What can I say? I am a dedicated Foodie, through and through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers