Search ShannaBelle Cooks

Friday, January 29, 2010

Italian Herb Roasted Chicken and Lemon Spaghetti




Chicken and Pork are my all time favorite meats. Pork usually ends up Mexican-style because there are so many pork recipes in that repertoire. Chicken lends itself to other exotic palates such as Moroccan, Italian, Oriental and the like. I have served my sons Chicken and Lemon Spaghetti for a decade or so. I think they prefer my own recipes, they all know how to make them, but the last time I prepared it I decided to venture into new territory and try something different. All in all, they were good recipes, but I definitely prefer my own Lemon Spaghetti. Today's recipe is Italian Herb Roasted Chicken hijacked from cooks.com. Giada's Lemon Spaghetti can be found on the foodnetwork.com website, but as I said we liked my recipe better, not to mention that is was less complicated.

I prefer dark meat Chicken because I believe it is more succulent and juicy. I have had my share of dry Chicken and Turkey boobies in my day and I prefer to avoid Chicken boobies unless it is Chik-Fil-A (shameless pitch for free grub). I rarely make my own chicken tenders so there you have it.

Oh and by the way, this recipe is pronounced It-talian Herb Roasted Chicken. I have to make that very clear. My dad, "Grld" - you have to leave out the vowels or it isn't the same - always pronounces it Eye - talian. I have to remind him time and time again you don't go to Eye - taly, you go to It -taly.

Printable Recipe


Italian Herb Roasted Chicken
adapted from cooks.com (mine is better - really it is)

3-4 lbs. chicken thighs
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme - divided in half
1/2 tsp. oregano or marjoram (I used oregano) - divided in half
1/2 tsp. rosemary (I always smoosh - yes that's a technical term - mine, who needs toothpicks in their food?) - divided in half
1/2 tsp. fresh parsley, minced - divided in half
3 cloves garlic, minced or smooshed to your own culinary preference
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
Olive oil for sautéing

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Rinse chicken leaving slightly moist for dredging.

In a heavy skillet, add olive oil to a depth of 1/4 inch. Add garlic and sliced onion, saute, being sure not to overcook. Burnt garlic is just plain nasty.

Mix flour, salt, pepper and half measures of herbs into flat bowl for dredging. Dredge chicken pieces until well coated.

Brown the chicken evenly on both sides in olive oil. Does not need to be cooked through, as you will finish in the oven. Transfer browned chicken and onion slices to a casserole or baking pan.

Combine remaining herbs and broth. Baste chicken with broth mixture and a little olive oil, continue to baste occasionally during cooking.

Roast chicken for 50 minutes or until tender and juices run clear (depends upon weight of chicken). Internal temperature should be about 160 degrees F.

Serve with Lemon Spaghetti - seriously my recipe is so simple a child could do it (and often does in our home).


Lemon Spaghetti

1 lb spaghetti
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 handful parsley
1/8 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is straining in colander, heat butter and lemon juice just to boiling. Add in parsley and cheese. Stir in pasta and mix well to coat. Serve with more cheese and parsley as garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers